Sunday, October 27, 2013

Who doesn't love a good road trip?

At the moment, I don't. Usually I truly do. However, the other half caught a wild hair a few weeks ago and took off on a whirlwind of a trip. It was about 26 hours from start to finish and involved a lil purchase. Forgive the photography on this one. It is a combination of Android, iPhone, and DSLR--and all on auto mode.  

Remember that trip to Ikea in Portland from the trip over the summer? We had been trying to order our couch for several weeks. We had no luck finding the couch in stock. Next thing I knew, I received a call on a break at work.  

"Hey, whatcha doin?"

"Working."

"Have a minute?"

"Sure.  What are you up to?"

"I think I'm driving to Portland tonight."

"Oh?"

"The Karlstad is in stock, and I have 4 days off.  I can make it there and back by tomorrow night."

"I'd join you, but at 32 weeks, I'm sure my stops along the way would add several hours to both ends of the trip. Um...make sure you take a break if you need it!" (I may have also made a comment about not wanting to wear Depends, and I had an appointment on Friday that I needed to go to.)

I arrived home in time to see him hitch up the trailer and take off. Keep in mind we had a house guest who was staying with us for a few weeks. She'd known us for about 4 days at this point. I'm pretty sure I saw her think about packing her suitcase to leave us looney birds to our couch fetching.  

The other half spent the night at a rest area near Portland.  


How cozy is this?  


He then drove the rest of the way (about an hour) to get his breakfast. Truth be told, I'm not sure he didn't make the whole trip for this. A warm breakfast was a welcome sight for him after a cool night in the car. Not bad for $1.99. 



He had a good drive, no rain, and no car issues. Then he arrived home with....this...


Don't worry, the entire vehicle was full in addition to the trailer. See the cinnamon rolls? I grew up with Amish cinnamon rolls from Yoder. These aren't from Yoder, but they are quite yummy. No, also not as yummy as those that my mother in law makes, but I'm not really supposed to have any of them anymore anyway. Once in awhile a little wheat is ok though--I just can't overdo it. 


There might have been a few other smallish things on the list that just didn't fit in the Civic when we were in Portland in June. I'm sure pictures of those things will arrive someday on the blog. 

Then the living room looked like...


and this...


...and this. 


The joys of assemble it yourself furniture with Swedish instructions: individual covers for each piece.  

The joy of 3 friends joining us to assemble it while they split a bottle of wine and I had a mocktail...priceless.  
We had it together before bed. The next morning after a quick accessory trip, this is what we had. (Disclaimer: I had the dog toys out of the picture. Then I walked upstairs and two of them had appeared. Apparently the large bone and horse needed to be in the picture.)


Result: much better! (Ok, you know there have been some pillow switches, but this is the picture I already have that doesn't involve walking back upstairs to take another one.)

As for the upstairs, we had some serious improvement in the bonus room over the last few weeks too.  



Yes, that is in fact a roll of painter's tape for a door stop. 


This room is still in need of some love, but for now it is functional for reading, chatting, and storage. The TV from downstairs is moving upstairs with a tv upgrade to go with the sectional downstairs later this fall too. I plead the 5th on the reason there are already Christmas-type decorations appearing. 

Whew!  Next up? A much needed kiddo room post! 

No comments:

Post a Comment