I recently realized that I posted about Java's birthday earlier this year, but didn't mention Kona's adoption anniversary. Seeing as how we will soon have a little person to talk about all of the time, this one is for Kona. Besides, I'm kind of known as a crazy dog lady already anyway, so what's another post about them?
This is the picture of Misty 0869 from the shelter website. I sent the picture to the other half, and he replied, "We're getting another dog, aren't we?" (To be fair, this was in fact something we had talked about. Perhaps my timeline was just a bit accelerated compared to his...)
Look at that girl!
We kept looking for a couple of days, but less than a week later, Java joined the campaign. She wrote a note, put it on her collar, and went to see Daddy. (Java really will go to J when I tell her to, so this was the easy part.)
The note read something along the lines of, "Pretty please can we get her? I'll share my toys and teach her everything I know."
Java and I knew this would work. Java helped J propose to me with my ring on a ribbon on her collar. If we used his own trick on him, we knew he couldn't say no.
We called the shelter on March 31st, 2012 and this gal was still available. We piled into the car and headed out. The drive was about an hour, and Java was happy. The shelter requested we bring Java so the girls could meet.
We saw those eyes in person and knew she was coming home with us. She was a puller on the leash, but she walked to the grass and flopped over onto her back for a tummy rub.
After just a bit of paperwork, she was ready to go. Java was excited for a play date. She'd learn later that this doggie wasn't going back to someone else's home! Misty 0869 was going to be Kona at our house for a good long while.
We told Java it was a belated 4th birthday present. I also figured that if we were ever to start adding humans to the family, Java would need a friend after 4 years of being an "only." Kona was guesstimated to be around 2 at the time of her adoption into our family.
We quickly added Magoo as Kona's middle name. It just...fits.
This was after her first bath the day we took her home. Seriously, the tongue is a force to be reckoned with.
And the flopping over on her back? Definitely a preferred position.
Smile!
She's a good babysitter for neighbors and friends.
We call her an aggressive snuggler at times.
But she does her chores. She moves my slippers from room to room....
Helps with painting projects....
And babysits. Somewhat literally. (We plan to not allow her to actually sit upon the baby once he or she arrives...
She checks baby is still growing too.
She is Java's friend. During KU Basketball games....
After getting hosed off in the backyard...
At Halloween...
During photoshoots...
(Photo credit to Stephanie Rock.)
After playing hard...
During neighborhood watch meetings...
And when needing to thin the pile of toys...
She's gotten a leaf stuck in her eye and resulting pink eye. She also fell off the bed backwards and threw out her back which required a week of rest and snuggle time.
She's a happy girl, and we're glad she's here! (Seriously though, that tongue!)





















No comments:
Post a Comment